menu

Club History

"We Build."

That was the simple message the Kiwanis Club of Fort Frances was founded on in 1924.  At this early point in it's history the Fort Frances Kiwanis Club became actively interested in the welfare of farming in the district by sponsoring Turkey and Potato Clubs for girls and boys.  These clubs later became the 4-H Club which we still sponsor today. 

Over the years the club has sponsored everything from the first juvenile baseball and hockey teams in the area, to providing the first immunization clinics for school children.  The club has supported the Rainy River District Music Festival since it's inception and annually sponsors bursaries at Fort Frances and Rainy River High Schools.  The club currently supports many projects including the Robert Moore Breakfast Program, the Library's summer reading program, the anti-bullying program Rachel's Challenge, Meals on Wheels and the Air Cadets. 

Throughout the decades the clubs fundraising projects have included everything from selling ice cream to barbecueing steaks.  Members have organized a variety of events including, Apple Days, bingos and eBay auctions.  Our most popular project at present is the sale of 'Trip of the Month' tickets.

But most notably, the Kiwanis Club of Fort Frances has been known for their support of Kiwanis Sunny Cove camp.  Though the club no long owns the camp it still helps to subsidize children's camps in the amount of $16,000 per year.

Today we are a progressive club and work hard to remain flexible for our busy members while still honoring our heritage.  We are proud to carry on the mission of the club's founding members.